Thursday, July 17, 2008

Booking Through Thursday: Vacation Spots


Here is this week's Booking Through Thursday question:

Do you buy books while on vacation/holiday? Do you have favorite bookstores that you only get to visit while away on a trip? What/Where are they?

I typically stockpile books to take with me on vacation. I never want to run out, and I want to make sure it's carefully selected material that I'm almost sure to enjoy, so that I'm not stuck looking for a random book on the road.

One of my favorite vacation spots is the Gulf Coast, and I'd much rather be reading on the beach than spending time traipsing through a bookstore trying to find something to read on the beach.

That said, another one of my favorite vacation spots is New Orleans, and I have a bookstore that I visit every single time I'm there. My husband and I took several trips to the Big Easy when we were dating, and we got married there six years ago. With the exception of the year Katrina hit, we've been back on our anniversary.

There is a cookbook-only bookstore in the French Quarter, right off of Bourbon Street, called The Kitchen Witch. It is a foodie paradise. I'm a cookbook fanatic, and I collect, in particular, old Southern Junior League cookbooks. This store, featuring the owner's personal collection, has options beyond options, so I always stop in to select the new addition to my stash.

Come to think about it, I typically always arrive home with a cookbook (and a Christmas tree ornament) from any city that I'm visiting, if it's for the first time.

What about you?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a stockpiler, too! My husband usually laughs at me for packing, say, 8 books for a 7-day trip, but I think it's better safe than sorry...you never know how quickly you'll read, how many you'll burn through, or what you'll be in the mood for. Overpackers unite!

SmilingSally said...

I just returned from my beach vacation on the Gulf Coast, and like you, "I'd much rather be reading on the beach than...."

Anonymous said...

I think if there was one type of book I'd buy on vacation somewheres, it'd definately be one of the local charity cookbooks. These are the cookbooks sold for this missionary trip or that little league team, and it's filled with recipes from real moms and grandmas in that area. What better way to get to know local cuisine!

Jill said...

Those are my favorites, too! Those little local cookbooks have the best recipes. Tried and true, handed down through families.

Chrisbookarama said...

I bring books too but will buy a book as a souvenir of my trip.

BooksPlease said...

I take books away with me but like to buy books whilst I'm away as well - and it could be a book of local recipes. I'd hate to run out of books.

Confuzzled Shannon said...

I bet New Orleans has some nice used books stores with old books...hmm.. sounds nice.

Joanne ♦ The Book Zombie said...

Great post - I really like the idea of picking up a cookbook while on vacation, especially if it contains favourite dishes from the area!

trav said...

I always take a fiction and a non-fiction, because I never know what kind of mood I'll be in.

I haven't been in years, but Page & Palette (http://www.pageandpalette.com), in Fairhope (on the way to the Gulf) is fantastic! Great little shop and good people.

Terri said...

I always take a ton of books with me on vacation. We have a beach house we go to pretty regularly and I take a box o' books with me; one of the first things I do is take over one or two of the shelves in the bookcase.

I like visiting bookstores in other towns - just to see what they feature and if they have anything new and different.

Kat said...

I usually bring a few books along when I leave home for a vacation. But since the place I go to is also home, most of the ones I read come from my personal library :)

Anonymous said...

I don't go on vacation much, but even if I'm going to stay at my mom's for the night, I still bring a few books.

That cookbook store sounds fantastic!

beth said...

we love the gulf coast too....but in florida.

we visit a little town called seaside {where the truman show was made} and there is a book store there.....sundog books....so I never stock up ahead of time !!!

Julie said...

I totally agree with, leave me on the beach with a book, not out looking for a book! Great post:)

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

Our 2 week beach vacation each year usually happens in May. I pack 14 books (my hubby packs 1). He cannot understand why i take so many, so i tell him I do not understand why he needs to pack 14 shirts when he only has them on for a few hours to go out to dinner in the evening..LOL I usually do not hear about my books again. I do leave them on the island for others to enjoy so I'm sharing them at the same time.

Lisa said...

I always take way too many books on trips. I took 3 books to an overnight camping trip this weekend, just in case I finished the first and needed to choose a second. I didn't get to read anything but a people magazine!

I love to visit local bookstores, even if the local store is a Barnes & Noble. Always gotta check out what is popular elsewhere, ya know. My last trip to Gulf Shores (in 2001) I bought Fried Green Tomatoes at a local store there, no idea the name of it now!